Adipex, also called as phentermine hydrochloride, a type of prescription pill that is used for immediate weight loss. Since Adipex is primarily used as an appetite suppressant, the weight is lost at a much rapid rate. Remember that appetite suppressants are not a substitute for proper diet. Even when using such types of prescription weight loss pills, balanced diet must be followed. It is most useful only when combined with a proper diet and exercise plan. However the use of Adipex is recommended only after a complete medical review. Do not use of this drug if you had health problems like heart diseases, spinal cord or brain disorders, high blood pressure, glaucoma, hyperthyroidism or atherosclerosis in the past.
Precautions/ Directions for use
Before using Adipex, consult your physician and discuss your complete medical history. This drug is not recommended for pregnant women or breast-feeding mothers as it may cause disorders in infants. Avoid taking alcohols as alcohol can increase unnecessary side effects like faintness. Adipex is not recommended for use in children.
Follow these directions while using Adipex:
- Adipex must be taken once daily with a glass full of water, and that too with empty stomach, about ½-1 hour before breakfast.
- It must be swallowed as whole; don’t cut or chew it.
- Don’t take it late in day as it may cause sleeplessness.
- If by chance you miss a dose of Adipex, do not double the next dose. Rather, skip that missed dose and restart your usual dosing schedule.
- The last dose of the day should be taken at least 4-6 hours before sleeping at night.
- Store this medicine away from heat and light, at room temperature and that too in a tightly closed container. Keep it out of the reach of children.
- Follow all other instructions given by your doctor and do not take it for longer time than prescribed. Extending the recommended dose may cause serious side effects.
- Adipex is such a habit-forming drug that you can become physically and mentally dependent on this medicine, and when you suddenly stop taking it after several weeks of continuous use, serious withdrawal effects may occur Hence, one must talk to the doctor about stopping this medication gradually.
- Follow the medicine along with a healthy diet and exercise plan for best results.
Negative Aspects of Adipex
All the information given in this article is not intended to replace the proficiency and judgment of your doctor. Consult your physician or healthcare professional before using this drug, as the use of this drug may not be appropriate, safe or effective for you. Decide to take it only after being prescribed by the doctor. Although this drug is effective for most of the people, there are some side effects associated also.
- High blood pressure or irregular heartbeat
- Constipation, diarrhea or stomach upset
- Dry mouth or unpleasant taste in mouth.
- Restlessness, irritation, anxiety, nervousness, headache or sleeplessness
- An allergic reaction like closing of throat, swelling of lip, difficulty in breathing
Any of the above mentioned side effects might bother you for a few days but if they persist and are unbearable, immediately consult your doctor.